2016 East coast nationals Watkins Glen

Discuss specific race events, who is going, timing, etc

Moderator: Al Fernandez

BADVENM

Re: 2016 East coast nationals Watkins Glen

Postby BADVENM » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:28 am

Do you know what items were teched during the 3 day event? What part of Todds axle broke?

Prior to this event I saw that the CMC lap record was something like 2:17.9 I think. You guys crushed
it with something in the 2:13's or low 2:14s and were as fast as some of the Spec Iron cars. Very impressive!
NASA Rocky Mountain - Camaro-Mustang Challenge car #8 Team Incidental Contact
3rd Place CMC - 2010 NASA National Championship
3rd Place CMC - 2015 NASA West Coast Championship PTB

t500hps

Postby t500hps » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:40 am

Congratulations to Bob Denton, winner of the 2016 CMC NATIONAL Championship (I say National because he beat everybody that raced the Western states Championship too!). As for SI, using lap times alone, Bob and I would have finished 2nd and 3rd in that class during the final race. Not surprising to me because most of those cars come race at VIR (my home track) once a year and I usually out run all but Robert Miller.

Bob's fastest lap was a 2:13.3 while I ran a 2:13.5 during the weekend.
Tech'd were car weights (each day), wheel weights, ground height, and dynos (sat/sun).

Russ Carter
CMC #720

Instead of typing a long synopsis of the weekend I'm instead copying the message I sent out on our local Mid-Atlantic message group:

MAN THAT WAS FUN!!!!

As much as I want to bust Terry's balls, I really needed his help when my car blew over on a voluntarily dyno check. It was same guy MA normally uses but that 55 degree DRY, DRY air put me a little over. Well that was after we got it to stop giving me 20 to 40 point swings in results like we see so often at our races. Also had a stutter that took replacing coil packs, plugs, and wires to get rid of then a timing adjustment to knock a few ponies out of it to make sure we were legal. Those that paddock with me know that my mechanical knowledge requires me to listen to 812 stories from Terry since I'm not capable of diagnosing problems with the car myself (Sorry Terry, couldn't help myself).

So the green flag would raise unfurled and come back down immediately like they were waving a yellow. Yes, I was slow on that start but managed even worse later! I think Marc is wrong about 4 cars per day. I counted 11 brought into the staging area on Saturday alone (which was the worst day). Those cars that were towed in......nearly everyone of them hit a guard rail that needs to be replaced and I'm not sure W/G will even go green til they paint the damn thing.

Thursday practice goes well with the exception of our sessions repeatedly getting delayed/cut short due to oiling the track, etc. I was there last month and Shawn is seeing it for the first time. We're getting faster and feeling out the crew of 4 from Great Lakes region who are doing the same. Friday comes and and I qualify 2nd. I am embarrassed at the start but stick 1-3 car lengths behind Bob Denton for several laps.....we are FLYING! About lap 5 the overall race leader gets between us and double yellows fly. Bob motors on around while the pace car leaves us 7/8 a lap behind him. Poetic justice is served when the Saturday race is gridded by Friday lap times putting Shawn and I on the front row for that race!!!! (and I set the track record!!!!)

For the Saturday race Bob gets out front and I spend another 25 of the scheduled 40 min on his rear bumper. Man that guy simply does not make mistakes and I can't get around him! Red flag ends the race early this time with Bob, Russ, and Shawn in the top 3. This is also the starting order for the final race. My consolation prize on Saturday is running .5 seconds faster than anyone and another track record of a 2:13.5.....then getting dyno'd and showing 243-245 HP after dialing it in the night before at 260?????

Our race starts with PTB-PTE rolling starts, and 4 standing starts for H1, H2, SI, CMC. As we roll up to the cone I decide to roll about 5 car lengths further ahead.....WTF!!!! Thankfully Bob Denton rolls up to me, bring the field so we can have a normal start. Bob rockets away on the green and my chase begins again. A number of laps later we're still running 1-2 with overall leaders starting to pass through us.....and the yellow flys! At the green there are at least 8 faster cars behind me and one of them blows an engine going into the bus stop right in front of me and 4 other cars running in a tight pack. I simply cannot manage the traffic as well as Bob, especially with oil on the track. There's no carnage but I'm 15-20 car lengths back. I'd gladly report what Shawn went through but I was too busy to notice! I close the gap but Bob gets the win a couple laps later. Further busting my bubble, he lowers my track record by another .2 of a second.

For those that race with me know I run quite consistent and pretty hard, but I have NEVER driven so hard, and so well in my short career! Terry exclaimed that I drove the car like I hated it and even commented that one point I out-braked a miata. However, it just wasn't enough for the win.

When the Great Lakes guys could get a word in between Terry's stories I realized these guys were alot of fun to hangout with. We busted balls back-n-forth and exchanged numbers hoping to get a cross-over event together one day. They race hard and proved to some of us that the camaro/firebird actually can be competitive! LOL

As for the track, it's not as far a tow as it would appear but that might be because I was running 75.....even uphill. The racing surface was AWESOME as is the layout! It's FAST, at 3.54 miles it's 1/4 mile longer than VIR yet my lap time was within 2 seconds of my VIR times. With practice there is a little more time to be found. The elevation changes are a little more drastic than VIR too. It's simply a "bucket list" track and one I hope to go visit again someday. The views of the surrounding mountains were incredible!

TX#11CMC

Postby TX#11CMC » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:03 am

Awesome write-up and Big congrats to Bob on the Championship win!!!

I have seen some AI videos and the track looks insanely fast!!
Now lets see some CMC videos. :D
-Michael Mosty
TX region #11
"Fox" driver and lovin it!!!
Texas Region - CMC Director

Supercharged111

Postby Supercharged111 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:20 am

TX#11CMC wrote:Awesome write-up and Big congrats to Bob on the Championship win!!!

Yeah, a 3.4 mile track running 2:13 vs our local track, High Plains Raceway, which is 2.55 miles and if you run a 2:06 you're hauling the mail. All that speed + Armco = a lot of body work.
Rocky Mountain CMC Director
#45 Camaro Challenge Race Car

t500hps

Postby t500hps » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:55 pm

Supercharged111 wrote:
TX#11CMC wrote:Awesome write-up and Big congrats to Bob on the Championship win!!!

Yeah, a 3.4 mile track running 2:13 vs our local track, High Plains Raceway, which is 2.55 miles and if you run a 2:06 you're hauling the mail. All that speed + Armco = a lot of body work.

I'll see what I can upload but all I saw all race was the back of Bob Denton's firebird!

FWIW: VIR is my home track at 3.27 miles and I run a 2:11.........W/G speeds were "normal" IMO, the guard rails weren't though!

t500hps

Postby t500hps » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:04 pm

Here it is. Interesting track, boring race from a spectators perspective. Bob won from the pole.....I chased him the entire time. Traffic interfered at times but never really effected the results. Had a blast hanging with the GL guys and learned a few things about me/my car. Hope to do it again guys!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf3vSxEaCiw

Return to “Event Specific”