Really good LT1 data here!

General CMC discussion

Moderator: Al Fernandez

Glenn

Really good LT1 data here!

Postby Glenn » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:26 am

Texas Region AI/CMC Series Director
Inferior Driver, Superior Platform…. since 2005.

Glenn

Postby Glenn » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:31 pm

I guess I'll explain my reason for posting this......

Earlier in the year I lost a motor and the cam was killed as a result.
I had my engine builder source a replacement for me. He was unaware of the many different OEM cams out there for an LT1. Once on the dyno it was obvious something was wrong. W/ the same restrictor plate as the old motor has, my TQ was way, way up and my HP was way, way down. Something like 330TQ w/ 230HP. Should have been pretty close to 260hp/310TQ. Anyways I got approval from the CMC guys in Texas to run that way. The result was a normal car in the corners and a really slow car on the long straights of TWS. I was off by about 3 seconds a lap from my norm. We suspected from the first dyno pull we had the wrong cam.
My gut feeling was confirmed yesterday when I finally pulled the cam (motor is out for crash damage repair). Looks like I got the "600" cam.

If you have a LT1 CMC car that appears to be having issues w/ too much TQ and not enough HP, this is likely the issue. Cams for the 265 and 350 iron head LT1's have much less duration numbers and a really narrow LSA.
The reality is the "600" and "799" cams are not legal as they are not F-body cams.

When you can, confirm the numbers on the cam yourself. Don't trust your engine builder to know these things for you. I am finding myself educating mine now as a result.
Texas Region AI/CMC Series Director

Inferior Driver, Superior Platform…. since 2005.

Return to “General Discussion”