Intro

General CMC discussion

Moderator: Al Fernandez

DBrad

Intro

Postby DBrad » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:08 pm

Hello CMC'ers

I popped onto this site last fall with the idea to build a CMC car than found one out West and thought it would be faster, easier & cheaper to buy than build (jury is still out on that decision). Now that I am a year into the process thought I'd make a quick intro., particularly since I am on this site asking for help.

I am out of Charlotte and have done a good # of HPDE events in the SE region and various individual track days. First part of the year in a 2011 Mustang GT and than once I realized could not afford to crumple it up, moved over to the 88 GT CMC car purchased late last year. I've participated at Road Atlanta, Roebling, Carolina Motorsports Park and even ventured up to VIR for the Hyperfest weekend.

Looks like the remainder of 2015 will do another event at Roebling, VIR (in Oct) and Road Atlanta in December. In the back of mind also considering a trip to Summit Point in November.

While I work up the HPDE ladder and get track time, working hard to recruit others into CMC here in the SE region. Figure by the time I work up and through comp school, will know whether the CMC class can be resurrected in the SE. I plan to come to the VIR events and recognize my role will be as a class filler but if it helps the class earn sponsor contingences and I get track time at VIR, that's well worth the trip.

The car is an 88 Mustang GT. Think I posted a pic of it last fall somewhere in this forum. The car is close to being race ready even through the driver is not. Hopeful to let the MA guys give it a look over at the October VIR event for their respective thoughts and suggestions.

Darren
Even a blind squirrel occassionally finds a nut!

t500hps

Postby t500hps » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Don't know if you found the CMC group at Hyperfest but you should come hang out with us. We're usually the loudest group after dark and provide endless banter as we bust each others balls. However, the MA group will do everything they can to get every car out for every race.......again, while bustin your balls.

Don't know about SE, but MA has 10-12 cars with 6-9 showing for each event (plus a couple others that haven't participated this year). In July we had 2 new drivers come introduce themselves as in-coming drivers and I know a guy that is also progressing with a car that is ready to compete (he's not ready yet).

So hurry up and get your license.........rookies supply the liquor!!!! :)

Russ Carter
CMC #720

D. Francis

Postby D. Francis » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:00 am

Welcome, welcome.

Build it to CMC spec and just run PT, or anything else you can, while you get others pulled into the vortex.

Yes, it's selfish - but come join the Texas/Rockies/MW/Etc. crew at Hallett in June 2016 for what is at least the "un-official" CMC Nationals.

Good luck and have fun.
David Francis
#39 CMC Camaro
Orange is FAST!

JJKJ

Postby JJKJ » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:06 am

Welcome Darren. There's a few of us newbies on the site. I just finished my car this spring and moved from HPDE to CMC. It's a completely different experience--you'll love it.
John
'01 LS1 Camaro
#45 MW Region CMC

DBrad

Postby DBrad » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:51 am

t500hps wrote:Don't know if you found the CMC group at Hyperfest but you should come hang out with us. We're usually the loudest group after dark and provide endless banter as we bust each others balls. However, the MA group will do everything they can to get every car out for every race.......again, while bustin your balls.

Don't know about SE, but MA has 10-12 cars with 6-9 showing for each event (plus a couple others that haven't participated this year). In July we had 2 new drivers come introduce themselves as in-coming drivers and I know a guy that is also progressing with a car that is ready to compete (he's not ready yet).

So hurry up and get your license.........rookies supply the liquor!!!! :)

Russ Carter
CMC #720

No, I walked all around the paddock looking for CMC cars as I did not know you guys paddocked up around the back of the track. Given it was my first time at VIR and Hyperfest as well, was kind of a chaotic first weekend.

I'll be sure to bring an ice chest full for the October event.

DBrad

Postby DBrad » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:55 am

D. Francis wrote:Welcome, welcome.

Build it to CMC spec and just run PT, or anything else you can, while you get others pulled into the vortex.

Yes, it's selfish - but come join the Texas/Rockies/MW/Etc. crew at Hallett in June 2016 for what is at least the "un-official" CMC Nationals.

Good luck and have fun.

Yes there are PTD cars consistently at SE events in the Thunder race goup so will try and drive against them until other CMC'ers show.

Hallett looks like a blast, maybe 2017, not likely to have or will just have worked up to comp. license. I have to ride with training wheels before venturing out with the big boys!

DBrad

Postby DBrad » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:56 am

JJKJ wrote:Welcome Darren. There's a few of us newbies on the site. I just finished my car this spring and moved from HPDE to CMC. It's a completely different experience--you'll love it.

Thanks John - cannot wait!

DBrad

how do I.....

Postby DBrad » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:57 am

capture multiple quotes from different messages in responding to posts?

Thanks,

Darren

D. Francis

Postby D. Francis » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:20 pm

D.Francis wrote:Sure,

DBrad wrote:what

JJKJ wrote:fun

t500hps wrote:would

D.Francis wrote:that

D.Francis wrote:be?

Syntax is: [quote= user name inside double quote ] text [/quote]
David Francis

#39 CMC Camaro

Orange is FAST!

BigT

Postby BigT » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:16 pm

Swing by in October, usually a good showing at that event. I am the only one still driving a fox body so would be willing to help with any questions may still have.

Terry
Terry #69 fox body
Midatlantic-cmc2

DBrad

Postby DBrad » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:44 am

BigT wrote:Swing by in October, usually a good showing at that event. I am the only one still driving a fox body so would be willing to help with any questions may still have.

Terry

Thanks Terry - am taking the car down to Roebling end of September to shake out all the work recently done. If all goes well will be at VIR and looking for ward to meeting you and the rest of the CMC crew.

D.Francis wrote:Welcome, welcome.

Good luck and have fun

Thanks David - got the multiple quotes thing worked out :)

D. Francis

Postby D. Francis » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:57 am

DBrad wrote:Thanks David - got the multiple quotes thing worked out :)
That's got to be at least worth one front row start somewhere.
David Francis

#39 CMC Camaro

Orange is FAST!

Supercharged111

Postby Supercharged111 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:33 pm

DBrad wrote:
D. Francis wrote:Welcome, welcome.

Good luck and have fun.

Yes there are PTD cars consistently at SE events in the Thunder race goup so will try and drive against them until other CMC'ers show.

Hallett looks like a blast, maybe 2017, not likely to have or will just have worked up to comp. license. I have to ride with training wheels before venturing out with the big boys!

Dude if you can only run 1 race per year, make sure it's Hallett. This coming from a guy who started DFL 2 of his 4 races, and Francis hosed himself out of the final. If you have to choose from 2 local races and 1 Hallett, choose Hallett. You'll see the light and return to the Homeland with the proper perspective. CMC is like Spec Miata or even Spec 944, except we have V8s because 'Merica.

Rocky Mountain CMC Director
#45 Camaro Challenge Race Car

DBrad

Postby DBrad » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:11 am

Supercharged111 wrote:Dude if you can only run 1 race per year, make sure it's Hallett. This coming from a guy who started DFL 2 of his 4 races, and Francis hosed himself out of the final. If you have to choose from 2 local races and 1 Hallett, choose Hallett. You'll see the light and return to the Homeland with the proper perspective. CMC is like Spec Miata or even Spec 944, except we have V8s because 'Merica.

Great Post! I'm sold on the idea of Hallet. 2016 not likely as I'd just be a rolling turd out there slowing everyone down. I'll shoot for 2017!

Return to “General Discussion”