LS1 Camaro CMC Build

General CMC discussion

Moderator: Al Fernandez

JJKJ

Postby JJKJ » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:48 am

Pranav wrote:What front brake package is on there now?

Thanks again for the tips on the torque arm bracket. I had no idea that bracket was even an issue. It will be very easy to accomplish with the trans out of the car.

The front brakes are Wilwood. I basically had them take their 4-piston race kit and bump the 2-piece rotors from 12" up to their 12.88" diameter with unslotted faces.
John
'01 LS1 Camaro
#45 MW Region CMC

JJKJ

Postby JJKJ » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:56 am

D. Francis wrote:John, one more thing I thought of looking at that glossy red...

Get it out into whatever sun you can find this time of year and from the driver's seat observe if you have any glare from internal reflections. I painted the A-pillars and area around the front glass flat black and have found it very beneficial.

Now, how far are you from Hallett? Dr. Supercharged wants to see your car next June...

Thanks David, hadn't thought about the glare much. I guess if I do have an issue, I can spray some black Plasticoat on the front bars.

I would love to get back to Hallett. I'm about 10 hours from there. I raced at Hallett when I lived in OK back around 2001-02. I had a 94 Camaro that I ran in COMMA because there wasn't an SCCA class it would fit into and CMC wasn't in the area yet.
John

'01 LS1 Camaro

#45 MW Region CMC

Supercharged111

Postby Supercharged111 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:59 am

D. Francis wrote:J
Now, how far are you from Hallett? Dr. Supercharged wants to see your car next June...

Just think, if we do have contact there'd be no evidence! :lol:
Rocky Mountain CMC Director
#45 Camaro Challenge Race Car

Pranav

Postby Pranav » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:46 am

JJKJ wrote:
Pranav wrote:What front brake package is on there now?

Thanks again for the tips on the torque arm bracket. I had no idea that bracket was even an issue. It will be very easy to accomplish with the trans out of the car.

The front brakes are Wilwood. I basically had them take their 4-piston race kit and bump the 2-piece rotors from 12" up to their 12.88" diameter with unslotted faces.

Would you be able to elaborate further on part #s?

I currently run their 4 piston superlite forged internal calipers with a custom, local-made caliper mount adapter to the LS1 spindles. I run an off-the-shelf 1 piece Corvette C4 J55 13" rotor. My first pair lasted a season until one of them cracked, expecting the same out of the current pair, but curious to see if there is a good two piece option I can run from wilwood.

JJKJ

Postby JJKJ » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:06 am

Sure, this is from the email quote Wilwood sent me:

(2) 120-10694-rs, BSL4R/ST 4-piston thermlock calipers
(1) 160-12784 RH Rotor
(1) 160-12785 LH Rotor
(2) 170-8493 Rotor Hats
(2) 250-7690 Caliper brackets

The caliper brackets are from the 6-piston kit and are different than the brackets normally included with the 4-piston kit to accommodate the larger 12.88" rotors.
John

'01 LS1 Camaro

#45 MW Region CMC

Pranav

Postby Pranav » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:22 am

Nice, thanks. Looks like your setup runs about $1750. I think the way my custom brackets probably won't work with those rotors unfortunately, they're positioned for this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... SY355_.jpg

Running these calipers:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-120-11135

I like to brag locally that I'm in for a 13" setup for no more than a regular LS1/C5 2-piston setup; of course I still have heavy rotors that will crack and need to be replaced about once a season but it's not a hassle for now...

Al Fernandez

Postby Al Fernandez » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Very cool! love the sea of red haha
Al Fernandez
CMC Chief National Director

JJKJ

Postby JJKJ » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:36 pm

Progress being made. Engine/trans reassembled with new clutch. Oil pan baffle, solid motor mounts, urethane trans mount and torque arm bushing, AIR block offs, catch cans and Turn One PS pump installed. Waiting on parts to finish up installation of new front hubs, then front suspension should be complete. Front bumper reinstalled with tow straps attached. Wiring almost complete and then drivetrain will go back in.

Did as suggested and heli-coiled torque arm mount bolt.

John

'01 LS1 Camaro

#45 MW Region CMC

BADVENM

Postby BADVENM » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:45 pm

Love the Mountain Dew modification ;)
NASA Rocky Mountain - Camaro-Mustang Challenge car #8 Team Incidental Contact
3rd Place CMC - 2010 NASA National Championship
3rd Place CMC - 2015 NASA West Coast Championship PTB

Den34

Postby Den34 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:33 am

Looks great John. Is the Bar BQ grill used to heat up the tools....I wish I could say I have never done that before :lol:
Bob Denton
CMC #67
2000 Pontiac Firebird
Midwest Region Series Director

JJKJ

Postby JJKJ » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:12 pm

The Mt Dew can is my back-up catch can. :wink:

Thanks Bob. Engenius thought, I didn't think of using the BBQ as a tool heater, but up until now it's made a great parts shelf. :D
John

'01 LS1 Camaro

#45 MW Region CMC

JJKJ

Postby JJKJ » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:22 am

Had a few weeks that were too busy to work on the car, but work has resumed. All the wiring is complete and dash installed. Some updated pics:

First some metal art from Alan Blaine with his steering wheel quick release adapter and brake plenums. Pic also shows Delaney adapters with SKF racing hubs:

A shot of underdash area. With the factory HVAC system gone, I felt I needed air flow for defog on cool humid days. I guess my history of racing in the NW gave me an appreciation for having the ability to defog on those type of days. I also retained the wiring for the factory rear defog. I used a boat bilge blower that will pull warm air from the firewall/underdash area and exit through the factory defog vent.

John

'01 LS1 Camaro

#45 MW Region CMC

JJKJ

Postby JJKJ » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:27 am

Dash reinstalled:

Next up will be running brake lines and then the drivetrain will go in. Drivetrain installation should go pretty quick since it is completely assembled on the cradle. I've got a pretty decent list to complete if I want to participate in the Autobahn Apr event:

Brake lines
Install drivetrain
Plumb oil cooler
Plumb brake cooling
Reroute fuel tank vent line
Install ARP studs in rear axles
Hood and hatch pins
Get trailer prepared and organized

Autobahn in Apr will be an HPDE event so I won't need dyno. The list I have following Apr but before first race:

Fire system (have a legal fire extinguisher now, but would like a system in place before first race)
Driver safety equipment
Add rear diff catch can
Numbers, required decals
Purchase and install transponder (wiring already in place)
John

'01 LS1 Camaro

#45 MW Region CMC

D. Francis

Postby D. Francis » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:23 am

Gonna stop at...

wow.

Get that thing on track.
David Francis
#39 CMC Camaro
Orange is FAST!

JJKJ

Postby JJKJ » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:34 pm

Thanks David. I look forward to getting it on the track!
John

'01 LS1 Camaro

#45 MW Region CMC

Return to “General Discussion”