4th gen rebuildable front hubs

Information from the series officials

Moderators: Al Fernandez, Nick Steel, Glenn, adam_ginsberg, Mike Plum, Todd Covini, Kent

Al Fernandez

4th gen rebuildable front hubs

Postby Al Fernandez » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:39 am

An item on the table right now is allowing aftermarket front hubs on 4th gens.

Background:
4th gen front hubs are factory sealed, non rebuildable. They cost ~$120 each. Most CMC drivers get upwards of a full season. Auto crossers and other road racers with gummier and wider tires can see as little as two weekends. Other platforms have OEM rebuildable front bearing assemblies.
http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.php?showtopic=12578&st=0#entry135236

The change:
Up until now the only real option was to keep buying new ones. Somebody has come up with a rebuildable unit. It doesnt change the geometry at all, but it does use much larger bearings etc. It is a pricy solution though: $650/ea! The thought on the table is simply to allow use of any hub bearing/bearing assembly as long as OEM geometry is maintained.

Think about it and contact your local officials if you have any concerns/doubts question. We'll be looking to pull the trigger pretty quick on this.
Al Fernandez
CMC Chief National Director

TONY G

Postby TONY G » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks Al.
Guys you can email me anytime with thoughts on these.
Personally I am against the idea simply due to the cost of $1,300 for bearings.
My goal is always to see what costs what and does it fit into the CMC mentality, so here you are and its on the table for driver input.
I'm at hilinemotorsports@sbcglobal.net
Tony Guaglione
CMC Director
CMC2 #55
2000 Cobra Mustang

Al Fernandez

Postby Al Fernandez » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:54 pm

Well Glenn sort of let it out of the bag in another thread, but the current thinking is to not allow these custom hubs at least for the time being. They are a custom hub from a private party, and do not have a tremendous amount of test miles. They are also very expensive. We'll keep an eye on these and see what their true durability ends up being like, along with availability and cost.
Al Fernandez

CMC Chief National Director

TONY G

Postby TONY G » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:08 pm

So since the other thread just keeps going and going about these, the official answer is No.
Tony Guaglione

CMC Director

CMC2 #55

2000 Cobra Mustang

Return to “Series Announcements”