NASA CCR 3/4 Car Width Rule

Questions and answers about CMC and NASA rules

Moderator: Al Fernandez

Smike

Postby Smike » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:23 am

Wow - more nonsense. Jim - I locked up wheels when the other car aggressively cut in towards me and was turning AWAY from the other car.

jim wrote:Some more of the facts, being directly behind the incident in one of the 'much slower' cars, 2nd car carrying too much speed, wheels in full lock up in turn, almost 't' bones first car. Had 1st car not been there, 2nd car surely would have hit pit wall collecting '3 much slower' cars on the re-bound. Thanks to the 1st car for sacrificing his door for the rest of us. So, to end the second guessing and bickering, post the video ( you still have it ?) set the record right and let it enhance our driving skills.

And Bob:

I was dinged by the "hammer" since I backed off. Basically, I was told that I should have hit him full side to side. And I was penalized for trying to get away from a blind turn in move. This was agreed, but as the rules are written - not expressed. Mark is literal to the rules. Jay and directors will review wording this winter.

wastntim

Postby wastntim » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:18 am

Is there video?
Robert #24
NASA Midwest - CMC2
HeavyImpactMotorsports@gmail.com
Sponsor: Cassidy Tire/Tiresdirect.net & CTW Motorsports

Smike

Postby Smike » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:44 am

I am still laughing how this is now not about going from 3/4 track to 1 car track but about an incident that I don't care about and have addressed with the race and region director about black/white rules. That is outside the scope here, unless CMC suddenly also re-writes the CCR.

Again, I'll repeat for those hard of hearing and/or can't read - the way the rules are written, sets up situations where the correct driver takes action and then is penalized for it.

Remember - people outside of CMC (aka people looking to race and reviewing CMC) see this. I hope they also look at running Performance Touring 8)

TX#11CMC

Postby TX#11CMC » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:06 pm

Smike wrote:I am still laughing how this is now not about going from 3/4 track to 1 car track but about an incident that I don't care about and have addressed with the race and region director about black/white rules. That is outside the scope here, unless CMC suddenly also re-writes the CCR.

Again, I'll repeat for those hard of hearing and/or can't read - the way the rules are written, sets up situations where the correct driver takes action and then is penalized for it.

Remember - people outside of CMC (aka people looking to race and reviewing CMC) see this. I hope they also look at running Performance Touring 8)

First off, the CMC rules trump the CCR's.

Also, how is it productive to suggest future CMC racers look into PT instead?
-Michael Mosty
TX region #11
"Fox" driver and lovin it!!!
Texas Region - CMC Director

Al Fernandez

Postby Al Fernandez » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:29 pm

Den34 wrote:
And you said

"If inside car puts his tires in the grass, guaranteed loss of control."

So if you were unwilling to drive in the dirt to avoid a collision you should have never attempted the pass.

That pretty much nails it. The whole point of the 3/4 rule gets twisted around sometimes and this is the exact point; dont put your car into a situation you cannot bail out of.
Al Fernandez
CMC Chief National Director

koserv

Postby koserv » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:55 pm

I was race directing that weekend, but for the other run group. While we often deliberate on certain rulings, this one, being in the warm up session and seemingly being cut and dried, did not arouse any "cross talk". Mike, it sounds like you did all the right things when disagreeing with the disciplinary outcome of an on track incident. You took your suspension, appealed to the next level, and, based on what your implying here, perhaps even got an off season CCR review at the national level. Not sure you can expect much more than that.

That said, I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by pleading your case in the court of public opinion, as it seems it reinforces the 3/4 rule. Based on conditions that morning, you were absolutely correct in not wanting to put two on the stripes, or even in the grass, which seems to reinforce not attempting a pass at that time. I'll go further and say that using this as a forum to "vet" the beauty of PT, a group you direct, over CMC, is confusing. Doesn't PT run under the same rule set? Wouldn't any driver who made the same decisions that lead to contact be subject to the same disciplinary action, regardless of run group?

To anyone new to racing who, as Mike implies, is watching this unfold and thinking "hey, CMC isn't for me", I ask two things. First, next time you're at the track, spend some time with the CMC gang. Weather it's in GL/MW, Texas, Mid Atlantic, SE, Rocky Mt...spend a weekend with us racer-heads before you make any decisions. And second, read the CCR. Ask questions. Learn the ins and outs and the what's and whys. For the most part, we all run in a race group because... drum roll please... we want to race! Knowing and understanding the rules helps make that safe, fun, and rewarding.
Kent Owens
Midwest CMC #30

Smike

Postby Smike » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:25 am

I am not pleading any damn case. Question came up to go from 3/4 to 1 car. That is what is for discussion.

What I am pointing out on the two groups and how this will be read by someone not in CMC, PT, NASA - started out as a thread about this or that rule and turns into bullshit about my incident (which I an not arguing about) but I am for 1 car width.

So for the record - my vote was for 1 car width.

Return to “Rules Questions/Answers”