RCR #3, Ford 4.6 throttle bodies and plenums

Questions and answers about CMC and NASA rules

Moderator: Al Fernandez

Supercharged111

Postby Supercharged111 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:07 pm

t500hps wrote:I haven't looked in a long time.......but I believe the Teksid block and PI heads are the best combination but isn't 11/1 compression the max allowed? Wouldn't 93 octane be fine with 11/1 compression?

(and does anyone know where a Teksid block is LOL)

Mmm, my friend had to use some thick ass head gaskets come to think of it or else he'd of been north of the legal compression limit. But with some 26X/27X degree cams he ended up with a 300whp/3XXwtq freak that ran 13.18 at 5000'. Aaron kind of reminded me of that, as we never really knew exactly why his car kicked the snot out of all the other 4.6s we knew of. He was within a couple tenths of a centrifugal supercharged Edge. Those Teksid blocks aren't that hard to find at the local pull and pay. It's all about timing, and they don't magically disappear the way LS engines do. I think they're about $220 out the door for a complete engine. Now there's this:

Ford cars 1999-2004 using cast iron blocks subtract 100lbs from weights below

So they acknowledge the aluminum block, but not for 96-98 cars and I do believe those Cobras, which are allowed to run in CMC, had the aluminum block. So the way I see it, 96-98 can run aluminum block and no weight penalty.
Rocky Mountain CMC Director
#45 Camaro Challenge Race Car

t500hps

Postby t500hps » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Supercharged111 wrote:
t500hps wrote:I haven't looked in a long time.......but I believe the Teksid block and PI heads are the best combination but isn't 11/1 compression the max allowed? Wouldn't 93 octane be fine with 11/1 compression?

(and does anyone know where a Teksid block is LOL)

Mmm, my friend had to use some thick ass head gaskets come to think of it or else he'd of been north of the legal compression limit. But with some 26X/27X degree cams he ended up with a 300whp/3XXwtq freak that ran 13.18 at 5000'. Aaron kind of reminded me of that, as we never really knew exactly why his car kicked the snot out of all the other 4.6s we knew of. He was within a couple tenths of a centrifugal supercharged Edge. Those Teksid blocks aren't that hard to find at the local pull and pay. It's all about timing, and they don't magically disappear the way LS engines do. I think they're about $220 out the door for a complete engine. Now there's this:

Ford cars 1999-2004 using cast iron blocks subtract 100lbs from weights below

So they acknowledge the aluminum block, but not for 96-98 cars and I do believe those Cobras, which are allowed to run in CMC, had the aluminum block. So the way I see it, 96-98 can run aluminum block and no weight penalty.

That's the way i read it. I run a 96 GT with a steel block that at best has been 175lbs overweight........the aluminum block just gets me closer to the minimum. Plus, if I build this combination, I could try to achieve that 11/1 compression ratio and hopefully push TQ over 300.

suck fumes

Postby suck fumes » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:55 pm

My engine is at 10.7:1 compression and even that is right on the edge of being pump gas safe. Any higher and you will detonate the engine (did a lot of math before the build to know limits). So 11:1 is not possible on these motors without race gas. I have actually had my engine detonate before running 93 octane which is why I have to constantly watch my A/F Gauge. It has only done it once and it was very hot and humid that day. Still freaked me out.
2013 CMC NATIONAL CHAMPION

Motorsportheaven.com

Supercharged111

Postby Supercharged111 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:18 pm

So you can just cut your gas then to save a buck.

DAlgozine

Re: RCR #3, Ford 4.6 throttle bodies and plenums

Postby DAlgozine » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:21 pm

CR questions MIA ?
Dave Algozine
CMC #12

Supercharged111

Postby Supercharged111 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Yeah, when they migrated servers their last backup was a couple days old. This thread is missing a few posts too. For that RCR, we just need to add the word static in there and call it good.

DAlgozine

Postby DAlgozine » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:00 am

Supercharged111 wrote:Yeah, when they migrated servers their last backup was a couple days old. This thread is missing a few posts too. For that RCR, we just need to add the word static in there and call it good.

Not sure about the server deal
Regardless, there should be a method to measure CR, as well.
Same deal for ."as raced" computer tune.
Dave Algozine

CMC #12

BADVENM

Postby BADVENM » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:01 am

How about adding something to the sticker on the windshield (supposed to show hp, tq, weight) for those with a carb or restrictor plate motor stating the jet sizes or restrictor plate size (in addition to the hp, tq, weight)? Like Supercharged111 stated, pretty easy to change jets at the track to fine tune the motor (especially for those of us who travel from a mile high down to a few thousand feet to another track east of us) and not know what hp and/or torque you're making. I know these are on the dyno sheet but it would be handy if they could be on the windshield as well, especially for checking quickly in impound.

6.2 Horsepower/Torque and Minimum Weight Decal
All cars must display horsepower, torque, and minimum weight on a power/weight decal on the windshield.
NASA Rocky Mountain - Camaro-Mustang Challenge car #8 Team Incidental Contact
3rd Place CMC - 2010 NASA National Championship
3rd Place CMC - 2015 NASA West Coast Championship PTB

Return to “Rules Questions/Answers”