dash gutting

Questions and answers about CMC and NASA rules

Moderator: Al Fernandez

MHISSTC

dash gutting

Postby MHISSTC » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:58 pm

I know we've touched on this previously, but the last good thread I could find on this was from 2006.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but by following section 7.8.6 in the CMC rules, I can gut the dash to accommodate the roll cage installation as long as I retain the dash pad and the main dash structure remains securely installed in the OEM location along with the steering column in the OEM location. AND I can remove any vents, switches, controls, glove box doors, ash trays, airbags, gauges, gauge clusters, etc. as long as any openings larger than 6 sq. inches have metal or plastic replacement covers installed in place of those items.

For example, I can remove my entire glovebox assembly, but if that entire assembly includes a large glove box door, I'd then either have to replace that glove box door with a piece of metal or plastic, or I could even use the OEM glove box door that I cut off of that sub assembly if it was then securely fastened to the main dash assembly.

Stating the same example another way, is it ever acceptable to remove the entire glovebox assembly and then leave that space open in the dash panel without a glovebox door, or suitable replacement panel covering it?
Scott Lockhart
Team Incidental Contact
Sponsor - Hanksville Hotrods

TX#11CMC

Postby TX#11CMC » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:36 am

That is my understanding also.
If a glove box is removed it would need to be covered, if a tiny a/c vent is removed it wouldn't need to be covered.
-Michael Mosty
TX region #11
"Fox" driver and lovin it!!!
Texas Region - CMC Director

rsmith350

Postby rsmith350 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:52 am

TX#11CMC wrote:That is my understanding also.
If a glove box is removed it would need to be covered, if a tiny a/c vent is removed it wouldn't need to be covered.

Correct!
NASA TX
Chief of Tech

Aliraza351

Postby Aliraza351 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:26 am

Wow. No discussion yet. Since I'm a Mustang focused guy, I think there are still some items that could be argued either way with this one.

Are folks OK with this including the rocker trim pieces on the SN95 Mustangs? Cars look OK without it and have the same overall body contour.
Download high quality cisco ccna dumps to prepare and pass ccna cisco certified network associate study guide

MHISSTC

Postby MHISSTC » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:29 am

Aliraza351 wrote:Wow. No discussion yet. Since I'm a Mustang focused guy, I think there are still some items that could be argued either way with this one.

Are folks OK with this including the rocker trim pieces on the SN95 Mustangs? Cars look OK without it and have the same overall body contour.

You dug up an old thread there. Since this is your first forum post, welcome, and may I suggest you spend some time reading the rules and using the search tool on this site. Dash gutting and covering holes is completely different than body trim pieces. Both have been cussed and discussed extensively.

7. CAR MODIFICATIONS
7.1 Allowed Modifications
Other than those items specifically allowed by the rules, no other part or component may be modified,
removed, or disabled. If there are any "questionable" or "gray" area modifications, the competitor shall
contact the CMC Board of Directors for clarification before competition.

Refer to all of
7.5 Body

for everything you are allowed to do on the exterior.

Refer to all of
7.8 Interior

for everything you are allowed to do on the interior.

If you have a specific piece you wan't clarification on like the rocker trim pieces on the SN95 Mustangs, the first place you should go is your regional series director. Or you could possibly phrase your question a little bit differently here. Instead of looking for a general opinion on whether or not folks are OK with something and debating the aesthetic merits of it, you might want to start off specifically asking if that piece falls under the definition of trim in the rules that you are allowed to remove.

7.5.8 All OEM antennas, emblems, weatherstripping, moldings, trim, and window channel trim, including all associated clips, retainers, and hardware may be removed. A smooth filler panel may be added to door
window sills to aid in emergency egress.

My personal opinion on them is you are OK removing them according to the rules, but you will definitely want to clarify that with series officials.
Scott Lockhart

Team Incidental Contact

Sponsor - Hanksville Hotrods

Supercharged111

Postby Supercharged111 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:30 pm

So you're finally building that car huh? It's about time! :P
Rocky Mountain CMC Director
#45 Camaro Challenge Race Car

Return to “Rules Questions/Answers”