Core Support damage

Questions and answers about CMC and NASA rules

Moderator: Al Fernandez

SRiner

Core Support damage

Postby SRiner » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:31 am

I have slowly building my car to eventually compete in CMC. Over the weekend my lower core support was damaged on the driver side during an off track excursion. Its just crinkled a little.

It looks like per rule 7.5.9 all repairs need to be perfomed close to OEM factory. So that means I can't just cut the bottom out and replace with box or round tubing? All it does is hold the radiator and air deflector.

The whole core support need to be replaced? I don't want to do anything now that might make the car illegal.

TX#11CMC

Postby TX#11CMC » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:44 am

If it is just a little crinkle, then just don't worry about. Get a prybar, get it as close as you can, and go from there.

I had a big off and got mine just straight enough to bolt the radiator air deflector back on.
-Michael Mosty
TX region #11
"Fox" driver and lovin it!!!
Texas Region - CMC Director

SRiner

Postby SRiner » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking. From what I have gathered from talking to a few people, as long as things are still relatively in the same location and car is drivable, should be fine. I'll try to straighten best I can of course.

tazy

Postby tazy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:45 pm

I have gathered from talking to a few people, as long as things are still relatively in the same location and car is drivable, should be fine. I'll try to straighten best I can of course.....!
Tazy

t500hps

Postby t500hps » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:26 am

Ironic this came back up today......Just last night I pulled the radiator so I could straighten mine back out after going into the tires recently. Some hammering and prying and it's all ready to go! :)

SRiner

Postby SRiner » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:16 am

Upon further review mine wasn't damaged enough to need any straightening. Radiator sat in straight. Support is pushed up and back slightly. I've been racing it all year with no issues related to the support.

Return to “Rules Questions/Answers”