2018 rules

Questions and answers about CMC and NASA rules

Moderator: Al Fernandez

Al Fernandez

2018 rules

Postby Al Fernandez » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:05 pm

A couple of interesting things to be aware of rules wise...

NASA has pulled forward the deadlines for submitting and approving class rules. This is a good thing for NASA, but it leaves us with very little time before deadlines (oct 15). Luckily there really aren't many burning issues to deal with rules wise. There are a couple though, so I thought we'd run through them.

1) ignition components... cost profiles for different brands have changed, and now the aftermarket brands that we've never allowed under the notion that they were just hyped marketing are actually cheaper than the OE brands for some components, so I think we'll open those up. Specifically I'm referring to distributor caps, rotors, and coils.

2) dyno temp range...thinking of dropping the upper limit for water temp for a dyno run to be valid to decrease the amount of timing the pcm pulls due to temp. I'm not sure how problematic it'll be to do multiple runs without going over the temp limit, however.

Anyway, that's it as far as I know
Al Fernandez
CMC Chief National Director

WutApex

Re: 2018 rules

Postby WutApex » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:33 am

I mentioned this on the Texas forum but would like some discussion on being able to use the Maximum Motorsports Rear Upper Shock mount. They do attach to the OEM stock mounting point and very minutely alters the pivot point to just above the shock tower (I suspect, just as a C/C plate would up front).

There's no performance benefit; it just allows the removal of the rubber bushing in favor of a spherical to reduce deflection/friction which falls in line with "Suspension bushing material is unrestricted" (7.33.7). These seem to be a relatively cheap option for removing the rubber from the suspension components.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-Racing-Rear-Upper-Shock-Mount-for-MMD-RCxxxx-series-MM-shocks-P1528.aspx
JP
WutApex?
94 CMC Mustang
NASA RM

Supercharged111

Postby Supercharged111 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:14 pm

I want to put one together for shock mounts to the body giving unrestricted height at that end. Not much different than buying a racing shock with different travel than stock in the first place.
Rocky Mountain CMC Director
#45 Camaro Challenge Race Car

Al Fernandez

Postby Al Fernandez » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:49 am

hmmm
If there's no performance advantage then why would you be willing to spend $200? Eliminating flex from the suspension is performance enhancing, lets call a duck a duck and not kid ourselves. We've gone over this concept in depth in the past and came to the conclusion that it was not in the series' best interest. I don't see how enabling everyone to spend $200 for a small performance improvement would lead to better, safer, or cheaper racing.
Al Fernandez

D. Francis

Postby D. Francis » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:47 am

According to the first post, I'm probably late to the party... partly because I lost the user/pass saved for here at work.

With 2018 Nationals at COTA, I'm likely to attend. One thing I know will need review is the dash cover in the 4th gen. The originals are UV brittle and stupid expensive and really brittle.

I"ve been running a flat dash cover replacement made out of foam core poster board for years. What do you need from me to make the official request to allow for alternate dash covers that maintain a "stock" appearance? I do plan to add some vents for defrost at some point.
David Francis
#39 CMC Camaro
Orange is FAST!

Al Fernandez

Postby Al Fernandez » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:02 am

6.1 clearly allows non OEM parts as long as the replacement does not offer any performance improvement. :D
Al Fernandez

D. Francis

Postby D. Francis » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:16 pm

6.1 in the 2017 V1 rules is the power and weight table.

But I'm taking that as a yes, it's ok. Is it considered a "dash trim piece?" Do I need an explicit note in the logbook?

CMC Rules wrote:7.8.6 The OEM stock dashboard must remain intact except to accommodate the installation of the roll cage.
Structure under the dash may be removed or trimmed as long as the dashboard and steering column
remain in the OEM location and are properly mounted. Any unused dash or steering column mounted
components such as A/C controls, air bags, etc. may be removed. Openings larger than 6 square inches
that result from component removal must have a suitable metal or plastic cover. Dash trim pieces may be
substituted with suitable metal or plastic pieces
David Francis

#39 CMC Camaro

Orange is FAST!

Al Fernandez

Postby Al Fernandez » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:10 am

Sorry, meant 7.1 of the 2017 rules. No you do not need an entry in your log book to sub a suitable dash trim cover piece.
Al Fernandez

Return to “Rules Questions/Answers”